Flutec LE12 and LE15 are solutions of a low molecular weight perfluorocarbon oligomer in a low boiling-point, volatile perfluorocarbon liquid.
Flutec LE12 and LE15 are clear, have very low surface energies and high contact-angles with water.
They are highly chemically-resistant to most liquids and solutions not containing fluorine atoms and will repel a variety of oils, lubricants and aqueous solutions of high and low pH.
Coatings remain flexible at low temperatures and melt between 60°C. and 80°C.
Items and surfaces coated or impregnated with Flutec LE12 and Flutec LE15 are simultaneously hydrophobic and oleophobic. This means that the solutions can be used for:
- Protecting fully-assembled printed circuit boards and other electronics assemblies against condensed, atmospheric moisture.
Areas: External assemblies, intruder alarms, traffic systems, sea-going electronics, agricultural electronics.
- Impregnating / coating woven and non-woven fibres for protection against water and chemicals.
Areas: Paper for pet-food container, book protection, coating filter media.
- Coating applicator jets and nozzles to prevent clogging and to control shapes of droplets.
Areas: Ink-jet printers, adhesive applicators.
- Preventing migration of a large range of oils, lubricants, fluxes and inks into areas where they are not required.
Areas: Bearing-races, various containers (to ensure complete drainage), adhesive-joining “overspill”.
- Releasing resin mouldings from their moulds.
Areas: Cold-cast1 resins, RTV-silicones.
Depending upon the specific use, Flutec LE12 and Flutec LE15 coatings can be applied by:
- K-bar Coating
- Hypodermic or other nozzle spotting
Dipping, where practical, is preferred as equipment is available commercially which handles parts automatically and effectively recovers the solvent during drying of the coating.
Post-baking of dried films is not necessary.
Application equipment can be cleaned with any of the range of Flutec perfluorocarbon liquids.
Typical Physical Properties
|2% w/w (LE12), 5% w/w (LE15)
|Surface Energy of dry film
|18-19 dynes cm-1
|Contact angle (DI water)
Handling and Storage
Flutec LE12 and LE15 should be stored in a cool area and preferably in their tightly-closed original containers. There are no hazards involved in handling either material. Refer to the Safety Data Sheet for more details.
Flutec LE12 and Flutec LE15 are available in 5 kg containers. Larger containers are available on request.